Monday, August 8, 2011

Red and Yellow, Black and White, They are precious in His sight

Last Monday I officially started my new job.  It’s at a preschool and so I now spend a large portion of my day with 2 and 3 year olds.  What an adventure!  I arrive at noon, right as the kids are finish lunch and begin to lay down for naps.  Now I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to get 13 3 year olds to fall asleep at the same time but it’s quite an experience!  There are treasured few who lie down and close their eyes without protest, but with most of the kids, it’s a battle.  They want to be tucked in, read to, a back rub, a 20th drink of water, or when all else fails, they cry for mommy.  And I have to confess that, though I don’t believe it’s ok to lie, when they ask for their mommies that I tell them that their mommies are also sleeping because it’s nap time for everyone.  Most of the kids are asleep within 30 minutes, but there are always one or two who need an hour and a half to fall asleep.  It’s crazy! 
If we’re lucky we might get a few peaceful minutes.  Once everyone gets to sleep the kids who fell asleep first start waking up.  The rest of the day flies by.  Bathroom breaks, snacks, outside playtime, inside playtime, inside activity.  Then before I know it parents are arriving and it’s time to start cleaning up.  I will definitely add parents of small children to my prayer list!
I love my job now, but I have to admit that I had some misconceptions when I began.  I feel really strongly about working with children in need and so I wasn’t sure about this job at a preschool for the privileged.  I wondered how God would use me there.  But, of course, God had something he wanted to teach me.  I already knew this, but I guess I forgot it.  Kids are kids.  They are the same whether they are privileged, not privileged, farm lads, city slickers, American or Filipino.  Kids are the same no matter where they come from.  They all just want to play and be loved.  It’s when they grow up they more differences can be seen.  When we become adults we have a way of tricking ourselves into believing that different is scary or inferior.   Yet, we aren’t so different.  Many of the people in my dorm building are of a different ethnicity than I am.  But they are all amazing girls and some of them have become very close friends. 
So anyway, my point in telling you all this is that God will use you wherever you are.  All people need Jesus.  Tomorrow I get to take care of a bunch of little children who need Jesus.  I’m sure that some of them are from Christian families, but some of them aren’t.  They are going to grow up and they probably won’t remember me, but I still have to do what I can to lead them to Jesus.  So when in the quiet, when I’m patting a child’s back trying to help them fall asleep, I’m also praying.  I pray for the kids, their families and my coworkers.  Today my challenge for you is to look around you and try to find your mission field.  Who can you be praying for in your quiet moments?  And remember that no one is so different from you that you can’t reach them.  Give them a chance and you may make a friend.  If you start to feel like you need some encouragement, go find some kids to play with. 
This is one of my favorite little kiddos!  One of my nephews!

No comments:

Post a Comment